Enrollment Immunization and Screening Requirements

California State University (CSU) requires all students to be current on a number of immunizations and to complete a risk assessment for tuberculosis (CSU Executive Order 803).

This executive order and its requirements apply to undergraduate and graduate students, students matriculated in self-support degree programs and K-12 students participating in concurrent enrollment courses entering the California State University.

Important details on the requirements, including compliance information, are available through the CSU's Immunization Requirements & Recommendations.

Primary Requirements

Immunization Requirements

As a condition of enrollment, California State University requires students to provide proof of full immunization for the immunizations identified in the table below. Cal State LA students submit immunization proof to the Student Health Center.

Required Enrollment Immunizations
Required Immunizations Required Dosage
Hepatitis B (Hep B) Students age 18 and younger.

Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)

Two (2) doses with first dose on or after 1st birthday; OR positive titer (laboratory evidence of immunity to disease).
Meningococcal conjugate (Serogroups A, C, Y, W-135) One (1) dose on or after age 16 for all students age 21 or younger.

Tetanus, Dephtheria and Pertussis (Tdap)

One (1) dose after age 7.

Varicella (Chickenpox)

Two (2) doses with first dose on or after 1st birthday; OR positive titer. History of contracting the disease does not meet compliance.

Tuberculosis (TB) Screening/Risk Assessment

All incoming students are required to submit a completed Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment to the Student Health Center. Students who are at higher risk* for TB infection, as indicated by answering "yes" to any of the screening questions, should undergo either skin or blood testing for TB infection within 1 year of CSU entry.

*Higher risk of TB infection includes travel to or living in South and Central America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, and the Middle East; prior positive TB test; or exposure to someone with active TB disease.

Additional Requirements

Certain students may have increased exposure risk (e.g., campus housing residents, international travel participants, student athletes) and have additional immunization and screening requirements. In addition, certain programs have additional requirements.

Health Care and Teacher Education Programs

All students enrolled in healthcare fields of study or teacher education programs are required to provide documentation regarding the completion of immunizations and health screenings as established by the state licensing agencies or clinical placement sites or fieldwork sites.

Students should contact their academic program for the specific required immunizations, health screenings (e.g., TB screening and physical examination) and any other fieldwork or clinical placement requirements.

On-Campus Housing Residents

All on-campus housing residents (new and continuing) are required to:

  • Complete and submit to the Student Health Center the Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment Form.

Proof Submission & Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment Completion

Acceptable Proof of Full Immunization

All students are required to submit acceptable proof of full immunization. Students should follow the instructions below that are applicable to their status (incoming student or continuing student).

Acceptable proof is defined as a written document that includes immunization names and dates (e.g., immunization record) or dates and results of blood testing indicating immunity (e.g., lab report) that is signed and dated by a licensed healthcare provider.

Incoming Students

Incoming students submit required immunization records and complete the Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment through the Student Health Center Patient Portal.

  • Log into the Student Health Center Patient Portal using your MyCalStateLA user name and password.

  • Click on the "Medical Clearances" tab.

  • Proof of Full Immunization

    • Enter date each immunization was received.

    • Upload immunization record documents. Be sure documents meet the definition of acceptable proof above.

    • Additional records may be uploaded at any time, regardless of compliance status.

  • Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment

    • Complete and submit the Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment.

Students can check the Medical Clearances tab for compliance status updates. Students will receive a message through the Student Health Center Patient Portal if any items are missing or require further action.

Continuing Students

TB Risk Assessment

Continuing students who are required to submit the TB Risk Assessment must download and complete the Tuberculosis (TB) Risk Assessment Form

The form can be submitted to the Student Health Center via mail or fax.

  • Mailing Address: Cal State LA Student Health Center, 5151 State University Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90032-8411, Attention: Health Records
  • Health Records Fax: 323.343.6557

Please note: Submitted documents must include student name, CIN, date of birth, and semester for which the student will first be enrolled.

Frequently Asked Questions | Resources

What if I Need to Obtain a Required Immunization, Lab Test or TB Test/Lab?

Students may obtain required immunizations or lab testing through their personal healthcare providers or the Student Health Center.

Students who would like to fulfill the requirements through the Student Health Center must call 323.343.3300 to schedule an appointment. Note: Students new to the University may complete Cal State LA required immunizations, tuberculosis screening, or related lab tests prior to their first semester of enrollment under the following conditions:

  • Services are available only during the term immediately preceding the first semester of enrollment.
  • Proof of acceptance into the University and program enrollment verification must be shown prior to receiving services.
  • Students must pay applicable immunization and lab test fees.
  • Eligibility for all other Student Health Center services begins with the first semester of enrollment. Please click on Eligibility for important information about Student Health Center eligibility criteria.

What is the Student Health Center Patient Portal?

The Student Health Center Patient Portal is a confidential portal that eligible students can use to: 

  • Update emergency contacts
  • Select preferred communication methods
  • Schedule certain appointments
  • Exchange non-urgent secure messages with nurses
  • Request SHC prescription refills
  • Upload, review and print immunization records

Students use their MyCalStateLA user name and password to log into the Student Health Center Patient Portal. Note: Information is not shared between the Student Health Center Patient Portal and the MyCalStateLA portal.

How do I Contact the Student Health Center?

Questions regarding these requirements and recommendations may be directed to the Student Health Center:

  • Phone: 323.343.3300

  • Location: Main walkway between the Career Development Center and La Kretz Hall

What if I have a Medical Exemption?

Medical considerations may exempt certain students from this requirement. Students who seek a medical exemption must:

  1. Schedule an appointment with the Student Health Center by calling 323.343.3300.

  2. Provide the Student Health Center with a signed written statement by a licensed physician or surgeon that the physical condition of the student or medical circumstances relating to the student are such that immunization is not considered safe, indicating the specific nature and probable duration of the medical condition or circumstances that contraindicate immunization.

Are There Any Other Immunizations I Should Get?

Students are encouraged to discuss the following strongly recommended immunizations with their healthcare provider:

  • Hepatitis A (Hep A)
  • Hepatitis B (Hep B)
  • Human papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Influenza (Flu)
  • Meningococcal B (Meningitis B)

  • Meningococcal conjugate (Meningitis)
  • Pneumococcal
  • Poliovirus (Polio)
  • Immunizations for international travel